Full Flush: a story of faith


I imagine that at some point in the life of every devout person, they confront a crises of faith. In Islamic tradition, Moses dealt with his by asking God to show Himself to him – a foolish request for sure, but his insistence and reasoning (to strengthen his heart/faith) underscore how deep this conflict ran for him. Muhammad had a similar crisis when there was a pause in revelation that caused him intense self-doubt and made him fear that God was disappointed in him for some reason unbeknownst to him.

Personally, I’d like to think of myself as adamant in my belief that God exists and that my life should reflect this belief – in this I think I am stayed pretty clear and consistent – BUT, there have been many moments that this certainty has been tested and met with despair and desperation. Exhibit A would be my most recent 90 day stint in the joint. To be brief, I had returned this past October thru January for a “turnaround” for a technical violation of parole after a hearing process that proceeded much in the same way President Trump proffers the idea that Obama wire-tapped him.

To my dismay and to the disbelief of many (including my own parole officer) I was soon in the limbo of DOC’s diagnostic and intake facility in Denver, where I would spend several days in solitary confinement in a cell – out only for a couple hours daily. The isolation gave me ample opportunity to sink into depression and doubt, and question God especially as to why I was going through what I knew was a clear miscarriage of justice.  As it was, I soon tempered my anger and despair by slipping into a habitual stoicism – my defense mechanism for dealing with hardship and struggle.

My cell was a box of misery – with various pieces of metal that jutted from concrete walls to serve for a bed, shelf, clothing hangers, and a desk. Most imposing was the polished, stainless steel
combination of sink and toilet nestled against one of the walls. These things are cold to the touch (especially when sitting) and when flushed, sounds like it is powered by a jet engine (indeed, the flush is powerful enough to flush down a twin bedsheet). It is the one thing that clearly tells you to abandon all hope, that prison is indeed a stark reality of inhumanness.

All of the cynicism, disregard, and inefficiency that characterize prison life and how prisons are run came together when one day my toilet malfunctioned and would not flush. At best, I would have to spend a day or two (or three, four) peeing in a stagnant pool. I’d have to find a way to pilfer an extra towel or something to cover the toilet to mitigate the smell, while waiting for staff to arrange either for someone to come repair my cell’s plumbing or to move me to another cell.
One would imagine that either option could be implemented easily and expeditiously – but that is only imagination. I was in prison – my comfort took back seat to the process of intake and housing of hundreds of inmates weekly. Repairs and housing rearrangement meant a disruption in this process, and disruptions were not welcome nor attended to with any haste.,

I pressed the button of my toilet several time trying over and over again in vain to make it flush, hearing only a faint trickle of water – enough to give me hope that if I push long and hard enough, I could muster a full flush. Even as I braced my feet against the opposite wall to push against as my fingers ached and threatened to bend backwards from my stubborn insistence, my efforts were to no avail.

I sat on my bunk, dejected, head in hands, staring at this cold, silvery symbol of oppression and punishment as it stared back, mocking me. All of my hopelessness and exasperation welled up in me – I demanded of Allah as to why He was punishing me. Why was I stuck in this g-damn cell? Why was I being held in violation of parole when I had done nothing wrong? Why was this even happening to me? Is my faith real? My religion real? Is God, who punishes with no rhyme or reason, real?

Before I went too far – from questioning to outright rejecting – my other inner voice began chiming in. The voice of that part of me that just wants to know God is there – that needs to see signs to be strengthened and reassured. The part of me that admits a weakness and begs for fortification from outside of my own self. That part of me too is scared and prone to desperation, but finds its solace not in anger and insolence – but seeks after God despite ego. It was that voice that made me stand up, point my finger at the toilet and declare out loud to it, “In the name of Allah, I command you to flush!”

Sounds totally cheesy, trite, and inane, doesn’t it? I mean, invoking the name of God to get a toilet to flush – and not just to flush, but to prove He exists to boot?

Yeah, right.

And – you guessed it - I pushed the button, and I’ll be damned it that damn toilet didn’t flush, as if nothing was ever wrong with it. No rattling, no grumbling – it just flushed.

I pushed again – just to make sure. And it flushed again.

I stepped back, sank to my knees, put my forehead on the ground and laughed.

 THIS is your sign, God?

You are reassuring me, proving to me you are there – that this is just a test I must and can go through and overcome – via a metal flush-monster?

THIS is my pillar of fire, my parting of the Sea: a toilet flush wrought by your name??
BUT OF COURSE IT WAS...


As far as I knew that toilet was broken and I was up shit’s creek in a most literal sense but for the fact I literally called on God. Yeah, it was toilet, but it might has well have been the descent of a host of angels.  I finished my 90 days giving less thought to my hardship and more to patience and “looking for the lesson”. I got a few more signs from Him along the way – definitely less farcical-seeming than relating to toilets, but meaningful and fortifying nonetheless.

Today, as of this writing, with current challenges aside (and there are plenty of them), my faith is on good terms with The Guy Upstairs. A recent event has me leaning into gratitude more so than I ever have since the day I embraced Islam 24 years ago, since the day I witnessed my daughter being born. 

I find myself nowadays giving more thought to the spiritual side of things, where I have crossed paths with the Divine, and I keep coming back to that day in that cell. Where – of all things – it was a the flush of a toilet that reminded me that my faith – and my god – is very, very real.


Comments

Unknown said…
I needed this Today! Peace & Blessing
Anonymous said…
ASA Taj. May Allah keep you firmly grounded in Faith. You're an inspiration to me and I'm sure many others.

Popular posts from this blog

A Manifest

Red line, and other pains

About This Dream...