a Prodigal Brotha Returns

Today I returned to Limon Correctional Facility after I first entered there as a convict 29 years ago. It was there that I converted to Islam and forged ties with people  like my brother who became family, and more importantly,  it's where I began the mental and spiritual evolution and elevation  away from the young hoodlum I was then toward the man that is "Taj Ashaheed" 

Today we took the first steps towards continuing/restarting our Second Chance Center  programs and presence inside of the Department of Corrections, an effort I will be spearheading under the direction of the Executive and Deputy Directors.

I walked in with security clearance, got my visitors badge and was taken on a tour by correctional staff. We stopped to talk to several inmates including brothers who were here when I left and I've been here ever since.

As I walk through I was struck with flashes of nostalgia and sadness- not much has changed about the way the facility looks, smells, and feels - except the buzz of hope, that I felt movethrough the units and in the handshakes as we walked thru. 

After we were done I felt a sense that is hard to describe as I walked through the gates and outside as a free man and as a free citizen.

I can't wait to take this feeling back to make it germinate and flourish with the hopes that more people will leave facilities like Limon, never to return - except as members of our team.

I only wish my mother or alive to see this pic...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Manifest

Red line, and other pains

About This Dream...